Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You can contribute the maximum to your 401K AND $2000 to an IRA. The $2000 might go to an IRA or a Roth, depending on your income level. If your adjusted gross income is over $150000 you aren't allowed to contribute to a Roth for that year, but you can still contribute to a regular IRA (non-deductible contribution). If you have over $2000 in earned income but less than the maximum amount, it can go to a Roth (a better deal later, since you would be paying tax on the income in either case).
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.