Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
You can have your ROTH and eat it too - even if your MAGI isn't under the limit.

You put your money into a standard IRA. You immediately transfer it to a ROTH IRA. You're good.

For lurkers, this advice doesn't work for everyone. It works only if you have no traditional IRA account, including rollovers from prior employers, SEPs and SIMPLEs with pre-tax money in them. In that scenario you'll have taxable income from the conversion to Roth. See Part I of Form 8606.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.