Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You can leave the balance at Old Co. as long as your vested balance is more than $5,000. If its less, Old Co. can tell you to take a hike with your money. Otherwise, you can stay as long as you want.
Since you are not eligible to make a 401k contribution this year, you can make the $2,000 contribution to an IRA and take a full deduction for it. If you already do not have an IRA, you can open one at any discount brokerage such as Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard, E*Trade, etc. Then you can buy individual Stocks, Bonds and choose from thousands of mutual funds.
Then, when you are eligible for the new Plan, you can either move the money from the old Plan to the new plan, move the money from the old Plan to the IRA, (You can do that once you open the IRA), or leave the old money where it is.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.