No. of Recommendations: 1
You can not roll from a 401k directly into a ROTH. You must roll into a traditional IRA first then a ROTH, second, as Dsemmler points out, almost all 401ks do not allow for in service withdrawals. You must separate from service, reach the defined retirement age, or become disabled. ( a bit extreme to get a rollover)
You can then roll the 401k to a traditional then convert the traditional to a ROTH. If you are years away from retirement, this is probably a good strategy. Remember, you will pay tax on any amount converted to the ROTH so you may want to do this systematically instead of a lum sum event.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.