Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You can offset part of the loss on the stock with the gain on the options.
You can use the remaining loss on the stock to offset other capital gains.
You can offset up to $3000 of remaining loss against ordinary income, which includes dividends and interest as well as salary or other income.
If you have more loss than that, you can carry it forward to next year, and offset capital gains plus up to $3000 of other income.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.