No. of Recommendations: 0
You can own master limited partnership shares in a retirement account.

The standard advice of the tax professionals here is not to do it, because of the possibility of having to pay tax on Unrelated Business Income.

I own shares ON Oneok, not in a retirement account. For 2009 UBI was a negative number. I own it in a taxable account. If I owned it in my IRA, I wouldn't have to mess with the K-1's at all, as long as UBI doesn't go over $1000.

Not clear to me is if there are several LMPs in an IRA, does the negative UBI in one cancel another that might have gone over that $1000 mark?

Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.