UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (106) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947898  
Subject: Re: fight against "Ground Zero mosque" Date: 7/26/2010 9:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 196
You can say it is not a stick in the eye to have them go down there and face a mosque in what would have been the shadow of the tomb that their loved ones would be. Many of the victims still are not identified even by the slightest trace.

It never fails. In every thread about 9/11 and the WTC, somebody says something about how I ought to feel and pisses me off, and I find myself goaded to respond - uselessly, pointlessly. So here we go.

I received about three quarters of a cup of the cremated remains of my husband. I'm told it was mostly his maxillary arch (which I understand tends to survive fire well). The rest is just gone. Maybe it's around the site, maybe it's in Fresh Kills. But that construction site down on Church Street is not my husband's tomb. Thanks for bringing it up, though.

If I go downtown - which I don't, very often - and stand at the corner of Liberty and Church, I don't have to "face a mosque". It's a couple blocks up, on Park; I know the building pretty well. I wish it was still a Burlington Coat Factory, I used to buy all my shoes there. I do have to face a church; that neighborhood is lousy with them. I also have to face the Century 21 department store. What difference does that make? None of these institutions are impacting me directly.

The Muslims have been in this building for quite some time, you know. It's only when they started talking about making it nice, building it up, that people got their panties in a bunch. So, what, as long as they stayed invisible, kept their prayer on the down low, that was okay?

I remember the Japanese teenagers I saw in front of the site on the Church Street side, laughing and mugging for each others' cameras. That offended me. I recall the vendors and their tasteless souvenirs and t-shirts. That bugged me a little too, but I also kind of appreciated it: gotta love the NYC entrepreneurial spirit - wherever two or three are gathered together, there will a hotdog vendor be also. Should I insist that these people be removed from the site because it's supposedly sacred to me? Damn it, I grieve; but I don't own the place.

It is the impact on the folks grieving. It is unnecessary and it is just flat out inconsiderate to the point of cruelty.

... Should it be allowed? No.

One more time: don't tell me how to feel, nor generalize about how I do or should. These people have the right to do what they're doing. I believe in my country, I believe in their rights, and I would never condone the abrogation of their rights in my name.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (106) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement