No. of Recommendations: 0
You can setup a roll/over IRA with a broker and then request the Custodian of the 401K plan to deposit its assets into the R/O IRA. There is no tax consequence of the transfer. Then setup a Roth IRA with the broker and you can now start to transfer the IRA into the Roth. You can spread the transfer over a period of years and only the portion transfered in a particular year will be subject to ordinary income tax in that year. You can vary the amount of the annual transfer to minimize the tax bite. Great plan - Matthew
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.