Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You can't roll/over a 401K directly into a Roth IRA.
The procedure is very rigid. You must first setup a
a roll/over IRA with a brokerage house. Second, you instruct the 402K administrator that you want your assets transferred to the brokerage R/O IRA account. Once it is in the IRA, get a form from the broker to set up a Roth IRA. Then request they send you the standard form, that authorises them to to transfer some or all of the IRA to the Roth account. You will also have to fill in a beneficiary form. Sounds complicated but it really is'nt; don't be suprised if it takes a fews weeks to execute.
The transfer from 401K to R/O IRA is tax free; however,
the transfer from IRA to the Roth IRA is fully taxable
in the tax year it occurs! Hence you may wish to spread
this action over several years to spread the tax burden
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.