No. of Recommendations: 1
You could buy individual stocks and hold for the long term. With the exceptions of taxes on dividends, no capitol gains would be owed until you sold these stocks and then only 20% tax. Indexing with SPY, DIA, and QQQ would be treated the same for tax purposes when held for the long term. I personally prefer QQQ, but that is an individual choice for each investor to make. I would suggest however that you fund a Roth IRA for $2000 each year instead of a traditional IRA, simply because the gains are tax free if held until you reach 59 1/2 compared to a traditional IRA.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.