UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77205  
Subject: Re: Roth IRA w/minimum $ Date: 12/26/2001 2:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
You could check into accounts at your bank. They will likely have much lower minimums. Once that account has built up you could transfer the money into a brokerage or mutual fund company.

For the periodic contributions, if the minimum contribution is still a problem, keep the account at the bank open and contribute there. Then transfer funds a couple of times per year.

It's a bit more of a hassle, I realize, but the important thing at this point is to start the savings, even if you can't get it into your desired investment vehicle right away. Time and regular contributions are the biggest asset, not the specific investment.

Just an aside, your student son does have some kind of job, right? He needs earned income to be eligible for contributions to the Roth.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Kiddie Card Board
Should kids have their own credit card?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:

Apple Watch and the Rational Mind
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.