Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You could look at deposits to the joint account and divide the expenses based on the ratio of deposits. You don't mention what other expenses are paid from the joint account. I THINK you could make a case that nondeductible expenses were made from your contributions and deductible from hers.

I'd agree with Phil. Either do it by percentage of net income (hers divided by total of ours or his divided by total of ours) or give the deductions to one claiming the other paid the nondeductible items.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.