No. of Recommendations: 2
You do a worksheet for each 1099-INT that you got. Toward the bottom of the form is a place to put in "accrued interest". The number goes there. If you are using Turbo-tax or similar, it will give you proper credit. Then follow the directions and the number will be correct.

The broker who sold you the bond isn't required to report that interest that you paid--you have to do it yourself. The annual brokerage statement may or may not show it; the confirmation you got at the time you bought the bond will show it.

Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.