No. of Recommendations: 0

You don't generally need to put anything into an IRA at a good broker (to open it). In fact, if you ever want to roll the money back into a qualified plan, you better not put any new funds in. Open an IRA with Waterhouse (or whoever). Make sure they know it's for a rollover (aka conduit) IRA. Have them do a direct custodial transfer from your 401K to the IRA. That way there are no adverse tax consequences. OTOH, if you don't care about ever rolling the money back, you can open a vanilla IRA and have them roll the money in, and then make your own contributions (that is what I did).
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.