No. of Recommendations: 0
You forgot to mention your age and the type of IRA. Is it a traditional IRA or a ROTH IRA?

Your age is important because if you are in your 30's or less, then you should be focusing on equity growth. If you are in your Late 40's mid-50's then Bonds are a good way to lock in your future income.

Money market accounts will fluctuate, as they are all short term paper. Sometimes they may pay more than long bonds, most times they won't.

If you are in a Traditional IRA and are investing in Muni-Bonds, then your Capital Gains are sheltered from Fed and Local Taxes - assuming you are trading them. If all you are doing is collecting dividends on them, then wait until you are retired or near retirement or have so much cash you don't know what to do with it.

Muni's should normally be in your regular brokerage account not in an IRA or 401K, as they are a form of sheltered investment.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.