UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: nmckay Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5805  
Subject: Re: Why I hate working.... Date: 7/10/2003 1:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 24
You got "curtesy interviewed". What I'm about to write may be a bit harsh so look at it objectively. I mean no harm.

You're ego will only get you in trouble. Anger in this case is an impotent emotion. You were their fall back candidate. They wanted to hire this C1 all along. They hoped they'd be impressed and aparently they were. So C1 gets the job and you get upset, as expected. Next they'll let you vent and attempt to smooth your feathers. But they've made a calculated risk. They believe you'll stay.

What to do? You have to leave. They do not respect you. Don't expect that to change. Do nothing that is aparent to them. You should appear the model imployee. Personally, I wouldn't have asked for a gripe session on Monday. They know what they did, and they've already calculated the risk. They aren't giving you the job so what's the point in talking about it. I'd go in and say you're disappointed but trust their judgement and that you want the best for the company and...you know the crap you're supposed to say. Do not tell them you'll shirk your responsibilities or not take on new assignments or not train the C1 or any of that.

Then get going on your career move. It is much easier to get a job when you have one than to beat the pavement every day. You need the income. Do not quit. You get nothing if you quit but a bad reference.

Once you have your new job secured. Give them the minimum required notice. Smile sweetly and tell them you are pursuing other opportunities. Give them nothing else. In the obligitory exit interview give them nothing but "sunday school" answers. How much you enjoyed working there and on and on. Don't listen to counter offers, don't listen to "what a valued employee you are" If you were that valued, you'd have been chosen for the job.

Then go to your new job and kick a$$.

nmckay
mercenary at heart
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement