Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
You got wonderful advice and resources from rkmacdonald. I have been widowed for 14 years. Like you I was left with a nice 401K plus life insurance. I remember at first I was afraid to spend a dime in fear I would be begging on the streets. I left the 401K with the company, a very wise choice on my part as it appreciated with very little cost, just sitting there. The life insurance funds I put with a broker that I was acquainted with...not the best choice, but I knew nothing about investments and there was no Motley Fool to help out. There is a lot to learn about investing. I found that participating in TMF seminars really helped over time. I know that rkmacdonald recommended Vangard. I am invested now with Fidelity, maybe not quite as good, but they do have offices where you can sit down and speak to someone who can help you build your portfolio......As for now, I would leave the money just where it is till you learn at least the basics. And now that you are on your own, be wary of advice that will put your money into someone else's pocket. You have suffered a great loss, so don't be in a hurry to make changes in your life without a great deal of thought first. Best wishes to you,

Birgit aka follydolly
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement