Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You guys are scaring me. The IRS made a mistake on our tax refund for tax year 2000 and failed to apply the correct amount from our refund to our estimated taxes for 2001. In other words, my return said to apply $2000.00 out of our refund towards estimated taxes for 2001 . However, the IRS applied $20.00 and sent me the rest as a refund. I added the difference into the June estimated tax payment (which, BTW, I also got late because I thought it was due in July).

I worked out the 2210 and all the numbers and am paying estimated quarterly taxes on our small business earnings as 90% of our last year's tax to benefit from the Safe Harbor Rule. I will still owe a good-sized chunk since our earnings were higher this year than last.

sooooo..... to finally get to my question...... Should I just pony up the amount I expect to owe for 2001 since I blew (and so did the IRS) the Safe Harbor timeliness rules on estimated tax payments?

Thanking you in advance for pointing this out...
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.