Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FoolBalance Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 441152  
Subject: Re: OT: When a club goes bad? Any solution? Date: 6/19/2013 10:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
You have a key problem: The main purpose of the club is social and fun but most of us have mental models of clubs that prescribe the many things you describe in terms of officers, meetings, agendas, etc.= Not fun. So, you constructed a club organization that doesn't fit the club. Groups need not be formalized to that degree to have good things happen. If you'd not named it 'club' you might not have tried to build it the way you did... but, it is what most of us would do, really. I am part of a boardgame group that is trending towards becoming a more formal club and I imagine the same issues arising. A social group wants to do the social thing they gather for, not have 'meetings' and such.

From a group stages perspective, the club can't seem to get out of the 'storming' phase to establish overriding norms on how to move forward. Therefore, the club isn't really doing what y'all hoped on formation, which appears to be for like-minded homebrewers to gather to share their experiences, share their brews, socialize and plan a few events of various types.

I see two ways to go 1) Destructive reform the group and 2) Work within what you have to have a chance to reform it by making it even more formal.

Destructive Reform option: Disperse the accumulated treasury or use it for a 'Destruction Blowout Party'. Kill any official and or legal structure and end it. Return to a core group of people who are 'the group' to have meetings when and where you like. That is, return to being buddies who have a common hobby. Occasionally you may ask someone to come to your group to give you a presentation, you may even decide to organize a competition or bigger party for which you ask folks to come. Fine, but don't let it be a CLUB with ongoing issues.

Work Within What You Have Option: The informality of the meetings creates a 'social norm' of people not treating it like a meeting. It would be very difficult to fix it while running things the way you are. You can try some things to break the current patterns. You need to create structures: in the organization of the group, in the organization of the meeting events and in the organization of the physical spaces for the meetings to facilitate getting some control over things. I recommend a different approach to the meetings. Whenever a meeting is held don't hold any kind of 'general meeting' per se. Everyone gets together to visit as they want to do anyway (the clusters of people talking loudly). If you have a presenter, put the presenter in a room with chairs arranged as an audience focused on a 'speaker's podium' area. People take norms of behavior cues from that and tend to act like an audience. Put a sign on that room's entry: "Presentation, please have conversations elsewhere". If folks get into a disruptive conversation, ask them quietly to take it outside that room. Later in the evening, towards the end, have an "Executive Board Meeting" that is private (or make a rule that anyone may observe, but only board members are participant discussants). 7:00 meeting starts, 7:30 presentation begins, 8:45 board meeting begins... etc. Once every year have a "General Meeting" at which business is discussed among the entire body. When necessary to have votes among the entire body use the internet for discussion and voting (Survey Monkey, and such). Create a rule that any board member that misses 2 meetings in a row are subject to immediate replacement, then actually do it when it happens.

I think the first option is the better way to go. If you destroy the existing club and the other folks want to form a new one, more power to them (though, they will very likely exclude you from joining their new club, at least for a year or so).

In either option, get rid of the existing Facebook group and establish a new closed Facebook group. You'll let in most anyone who wants to come into it, but you can also more easily kick them out if they are disruptive, disrespectful of others, etc.

I teach classes in Group Processes and Social Psychology (have a Masters in Social Psych), by the way, so I think I may have some insight into the issues. I hope you found it helpful.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement