No. of Recommendations: 3
You have already gotten some good suggestions, most importantly to track all of your expenses. Think about irregular things, too - car maintenance, gifts (which should be minimal and cheap or free at this point), professional dues, etc.

Don't put all the blame on yourself. You all have been spending, and it sounds like you all are ready to work as a team to get back on track. That's so important.

I'll point out some things that seem high to me -
internet/phone/TV/cell phones were already mentioned. We cut our cable plan and borrow DVD's from the library. You can watch so many shows online now for free. Plus it gave me time to get other things done at home.

Water - does that include lawn? $100 seems awfully high, plus $80 for sewer. Look into ways to conserve and you can probably save here.
PGE - lower the thermostat a few degrees if you haven't already. Turn off lights when you leave the room. Just be concious of what you're using.

Do you have any savings or investments (not in retirement accounts) that you can cash out? If you have an emergency fund, don't touch it!

Do you get a big tax refund every year? If you change your W4 you can start getting more of that each month.

What's most frightening to me is that you have no emergency fund (that you mentioned) and no room on credit cards if something were to happen. You're one big bad thing from disaster.

Would you consider moving to a less expensive house for a few years until things get under control? If you could cut that mortgage payment down, you could make some big progress.

Think about what's right for your family. You may be able to make some cuts now, and others may need to wait a while. This is an excellent time of year for you to pick up some part time/ seasonal work. It's not forever, it's just until you get things caught up and on time.

Good luck!
mm
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement