Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You have to start taking required minimum distributions (RMD's) the year after the decedent's death. The RMD's are based on your life expectancy. You can take more if you like at any time without penalty. You can move the account from one trustee to another, but you can't add to it.

If you're contemplating doing something else, let us know.

Yup, that was the one - so, given that the owner passed away this year, then would it be anytime after the 1 year anniversary of death, or anytime in calendar year 2005? That's the last piece I'm not 100% clear on.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.