No. of Recommendations: 4
You keep saying you want her to get a real job. Do you have an example in mind? Shift work, retail? What jobs are available in your area? Here they are limited but we are in a very small town. I run a nursery and lots of folks come in and want some one to do yard work. Have you thought about doing something like that in the summer?

How much income will there be with her working a real job?

Min wage is Kansas is $7.25, that's about $1276 per month gross.

You do realize that most people with real jobs do not get Christmas break, 4 days off at Thanksgiving, spring break, summers off, etc. There are expenses with having a job that aren't there as a self-employed cleaner. Travel and clothes being 2 of them.

Picking hours to work is not as flexible either. What if one of the kids are sick...are you going to take off from your job? She probably won't have the personal time off you may have and would have to take a not paid day off.

As a self-employed person I make a lot more than I would working for someone. My BIL has a cleaning business and he makes bunches more than I do.

If I was in your situation, which I am not, I'd be discussing reasonable rates rather than just putting down the choice of job. The baby sitting at $200.00 a month for afternoons sounds low. How much per hour/job is charged for cleaning, here 15-20 per hour would be low.

How much do you do around the house. When you come home for lunch, do you make your own lunch?

If she got a job from 7:00-3:00 would you get the kids up and off to school? What if it was second shift from 3:00-11:00? Not every job is 9-5 you know.

Jean
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement