Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: fakena Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3296  
Subject: Re: Hip Interactive ( HP.TO ) Date: 6/23/2005 8:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
You know I didn't see any new information coming from those loss numbers, but now I see a reason for doubting their will be no more profits coming in from that National Post article.

"Gear and games - that's where the future lies, that's what the strategy is - those are the high-margin businesses."

Yeah this has been the strategy for over two years now, except it was the distribution "cash cow" that would provide the funds to speculate on publishing titles and paying a manufacturer to build large production runs of gear to their "Hip Gear" designs.

So if the head guy at Hip doubts their will be any more profits coming from distribution, there will be no more investments into publishing or gear made unless someone loans them cash or purchases a large block of shares. And to get $20 million now in equities it'll dilute shares enormously now. I can't believe Arindra wouldn't foresee a bounce back in margins and revenues when the next console generation starts cycling, but I guess I'd have to trust his judgement. And if I couldn't trust his judgement than I probably wouldn't want to own shares in Hip.

If its with regard to distribution then that write down may be real complicated as acquisition of LSP(Hip Europe) included distribution activity but also the personnel acquired were seen as invaluable into the future of Hips publishing and licensing efforts. Goodwill in total of almost $9 million but the acquisition cost was less than $2 million. I don't think the goodwill was apportioned to any particular activity or personnel at the time it was booked. Also over $4 million in goodwill attributed to purchase of SJS distribution pertaining to the preference shares granted at no cost but as an earn-in according to earnings provided. The shares were then converted into common and booked at the then market value of shares.

My dime price buy-in yesterday missed and it looked like shares were almost going to rise to a level that that buy would have covered the loss from current holdings. So it was disappointing that I missed buying more, however; now I'm not sure that I want to risk more cash on the company. Not if Arindra believes that the key "cash cow" of their distribution business won't be able to fund the higher net margin efforts anymore. Maybe thinking about an exit price for current holdings may be better thought time spent.

Duane
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement