UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886563  
Subject: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/15/2012 1:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have spent a lot of time in the last year with a young twenty-something who says "literally" frequently.

I have found myself slipping into the habit of saying it more than a few times a day as now. I'm wondering if there is some sort of twitter thing where this is now #literally somewhere. No, I don't twitter. Or is that tweet?

Any ideas of how to stop?

- ST

usage
The use of literally as an intensifier is common, esp in informal contexts. In some cases, it provides emphasis without adding to the meaning: the house was literally only five minutes walk away. Often, however, its use results in absurdity: the news was literally an eye-opener to me. It is therefore best avoided in formal contexts

"literally." Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition. HarperCollins Publishers. 15 Nov. 2012. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/literally>.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868737 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/15/2012 2:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have spent a lot of time in the last year with a young twenty-something who says "literally" frequently.

I have found myself slipping into the habit of saying it more than a few times a day as now.

Like seriously dude, why would you care?

Desert (whatever;-) Dave

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868739 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/15/2012 3:13 PM

He/she (and you) are behind the times. The new buzz word (related to "literally" anyway) is "legit." As in, "That lady backed into my car. Legit." Or even, "He legit ate the whole thing." Granted, it's more related to "no s***", but, you know, what evs.

I started hearing it from my kids in the last few months, I heard it sitting next to a group of twenty-somethings at a soccer game last week, and have seen it in facebook comments recently.

If I was more motivated, and could write, and had time on my hands, and...anyway, I would love to write a book on colloquialisms and the blazing speed with which they are adopted and spread in our social media-fixated world. I have made mental note of their coming (and going) over the last 20 years or so. My wife has been a heavy user since I've known her, which probably jump-started my interest.

v/r
Tom

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868743 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/15/2012 4:38 PM

Fer sure, dude! Fer sure. :)

ST

Author: Sadiekillmouski Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868744 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/15/2012 4:40 PM

Fer shur.

Sadie Killmouski

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868746 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/15/2012 4:44 PM
Recommendations: 2
He/she (and you) are behind the times. The new buzz word (related to "literally" anyway) is "legit." As in, "That lady backed into my car. Legit." Or even, "He legit ate the whole thing." Granted, it's more related to "no s***", but, you know, what evs.

I thought "legit" went out with "too legit to quit!" (2 legit 2 quit!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UJaLq4YOo0

If I was more motivated, and could write, and had time on my hands, and...anyway, I would love to write a book on colloquialisms and the blazing speed with which they are adopted and spread in our social media-fixated world. I have made mental note of their coming (and going) over the last 20 years or so. My wife has been a heavy user since I've known her, which probably jump-started my interest.

Have someone write a twitter novel, in 100 or so chapter installments of 140 characters each. The modern, social-media version of a Dickensian novel.

ST

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868749 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/15/2012 9:03 PM
<< Or even, "He legit ate the whole thing." Granted, it's more related to "no s***">>

It probably took some Mom YEARS to get that guy to say "legit".

Literally.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868750 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/16/2012 12:51 AM
<Any ideas of how to stop?>

As soon as you can tell me how to stop re-running the same tune in my mind ;-).

Wendy

Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868751 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/16/2012 8:43 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I first heard the three yeahs in 2002 when I was in England and it bothered me to talk to someone and have them go "yeah, yeah, yeah" before they replied to what I said.

In the last two years, I have heard it creeping into usage around me, even my DH says it. Still bothers me.

Barbara

Author: Sadiekillmouski Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868752 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/16/2012 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 2
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Oh, this one drives me mad! To me, it implies that your listener is utterly bored and wishes you would take your banalities elsewhere. Or, it may just be another annoying vocal tic...

Sadie Killmouski

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868753 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/16/2012 10:47 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah

I thought that was a variant of yada, yada, yada from Seinfeld.

Nancy

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868755 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/16/2012 10:58 AM
Now that you say this, one of my old neighbors says this in every conversation. Generally a nice guy, but I try to avoid him because he has a domineering personality which comes up in conversation. When he says, "yeah, yeah, yeah," I think he's just trying to say, "I'm not really interested in what you're saying, shut up, I want to say my point now."

Fer shur, like I think he's the only one I know that has this as a regular vocal tick, literally.

ST

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868759 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/16/2012 11:21 AM
I would probably use "totes" or "trufax" instead of "legit". Could be because most of my casual conversation takes place in writing, though.

On another note, if I had three wishes, erasing "I got this"* out of the current constant, daily, every-time-anyone-starts-to-do-something usage would totes be top of the list.

Trufax.

cm,

*and adding "bro" makes it just that much worse

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868774 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/16/2012 7:15 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Round these here parts "Yada, yada, yada" usually goes at the end of a sentence e.g. "So he said yada yada, yada."

And "Yeah, yeah, yeah" usually goes at the beginning of a sentence e.g. "Yeah, heah, yeah I'll do it when I get around to it."

Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868784 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/17/2012 9:00 AM
Actually, the "yeah, yeah, yeah" I am talking about are three, short, staccato yeahs that are said when someone agrees or "understands" what you are saying and will usually start their reply to you with the yeahs.

The longer 3 yeahs meaning "whatever" also bother me, but have been around a lot longer than the 3 short yeahs.

Barbara

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868823 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/18/2012 3:27 PM
"Any ideas of how to stop?

- ST"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Start a "Literally" jar - where every time you use the word, you commit
to putting $1 or any change in your pocket into the jar.
Jump up the amount for every time you repeat the word.

Howie52

You will literally pay yourself to stop.

Or not.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868883 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/19/2012 6:53 PM
If you find out the secret, please let me know. I was working with south siders for about three months when I realized I had picked the accent, and it refuses to go away.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869015 of 886563
Subject: Re: You know, like, literally! Date: 11/24/2012 10:44 AM

Which also implies that your listener is bored. Around here the quickest story-stopper is "Heard it!"

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement