UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1957132  
Subject: Re: Meaningless Debate Date: 10/4/2012 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
You know that describes Obama 2008. Romney 2012 is more qualified than Obama 2008. Romney has showed that he can work with Democrats, he did so as Governor...what did Obama have as a bi-partisan anything prior to the GOP taking over Congress in 2011?

Obama is not a dealmaker, Romney is. Which one do you think has learned "the art of the deal?" Romney has - both in business and in government. That's the reason he flip-flops. He does whatever's necessary to move the deal forward.

Obama just hasn't ever learned to cut deals. He started out on the wrong foot when he dissed McCain in the bailout negotiations. Then, he failed to attend jobs council and other dealmaking meetings (preferring golf), didn't make enough phone calls to cajole Congress members week after week, month after month like all other presidents have done. When he finally was forced to try to do a deal on the debt limit (the "Grand Bargain" negotiations), he lost his temper over an unreturned phone call and added last minute changes to a deal that had already been agreed to by both parties, as Bob Woodward has reported:

...Obama "was spewing coals," Boehner told Woodward, calling it a near "presidential tirade," according to a report on the book by ABC News.

The president and aides said Boehner had failed to return previous presidential calls, and backed away from a deal because he feared loss of support from Tea Party members of his caucus.

"I was pretty angry," Obama told Woodward. "There's no doubt I thought it was profoundly irresponsible, at that stage, not to call me back immediately and let me know what was going on."

Boehner said the White House loaded down the deal at the end with too many tax hikes; Obama would later say he only broached the possibility of new government revenues.

"He (the president) was pissed," Boehner told Woodward. "He wasn't going to get a damn dime more out of me. He knew how far out on a limb I was. But he was hot. It was clear to me that coming to an agreement with him was not going to happen, and that I had to go to Plan B."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2012/09...

Obama disrespects his "subordinates" in Congress, certainly those on the opposing team - then "delegates" his policy formation to them, like he did Pelosi and Reid on healthcare.

Congressmen are not "subordinates," they are equals - and a president who wants to do deals needs to treat them as such. Horse-trading and cajoling, stroking old guys' egos are all part of getting laws passed and moving agendas forward.

If Obama had ever been in business, he'd have learned how to cut deals with opponents and jerks, bartering and trading with those you despise. His experience was in demagoguery and rabble rousing - which stirs up people and gets companies and powerful people to cough up money and do things that the mob demands, but not as a result of arms-length negotiations or voluntary compromise. Community organizers are good at extracting involuntary concessions and capitulation by protests and force. That is not the world of business deals or Washington Congressional politics.

Obama's style of "negotiation" works great in the non-profit and activist worlds, but it doesn't work in boardrooms or in Congress.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement