No. of Recommendations: 2
You may not expect it, but a good sales person cares more about you getting what you need and not just a few bucks to get them through the week. In the long run, their reputation for putting their client first will get them more clients than convincing someone to buy what they don't need. It's a harder short term survival strategy, but a long term winner.

All of life is about sales. Or at least a lot of it is. If you apply for a job you are selling yourself. Same for asking for a raise. Or asking someone to marry you. Even if you don't want to be in sales...you're in sales.

One would hope that a given sales person is putting their clients needs first, but as we know that isn't always true. Certain industries, car sales for example, have poor reputations for good reason. Therefore you must always do your own due diligence. Doubly so if discussion becomes sales talk.

On the flip side, being in sales (we're all sales) the clients I value the most are the ones who do their due diligence. They come engaged, they ask good questions, I enjoy the client meetings, I feel like I do my best work for them. The guys who say "just handle it!" are the ones I worry about.
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement