Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You may subtract from that figure any 2012 withholding in determining your 2012 ES requirements. Unless you elect otherwise, withholding is credited equally across the four ES payment periods in determining whether you met the safe harbor.

But how do you know the exact amount of 2012 withholding when you estimate your 2012 estimated payments in April 2012? Can you use the amount of 2011 withholdings, then would you be in a safe harbor so to speak? Obviously, I'm more concerned about 2013, since 2012 is almost over. For 2013, if I take the tax paid in 2012, then subtract the amount of that tax that was paid by withholdings (as opposed to estimated taxes), then divide by 4, would I be safe in 2013 if I paid estimated taxes in that amount? I hope I'm being clear enough, but since I know just enough to get in trouble, I'm frequently unable to articulate my exact question properly. Thanks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.