UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: slojo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35357  
Subject: Re: Investing in Fixed-income Vehicles Date: 5/25/2013 3:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You mention Mauldin, and I get some of his free newsletters. He said that his single largest investment this year was to short Japan. Not Japanese stocks or bonds, but the country itself. I assume he means the currency, but I'm not exactly sure of that, and he mentions hedge fund vehicles. I have just enough saved to get into bottom feeder hedge funds, but not enough to play with the big boys.

As the stock market goes up I keep selling in small increments, and parking some of it in the Vanguard short-term bond index fund. My 401k at work has the PIMCO PTTAX mutual fund, and that is my biggest current new money allocation, although I still have about half in the S&P index fund. I have some value stocks I've bought this year and they are doing well (some I will sell when they reach target, some are long term). Most of the selling has been mutual funds and ETFs as they reach new highs. My wife's account had the largest amount of selling and she made a short term loan to our Daughter so she could buy a house for cash and then sell her town home (along with the Mello Roos and HOA dues!). Her good information on comps indicates a quick sale in the next month, and they can give a short escrow. So we'll have a lot of cash to reinvest by July.

My problem is that everything looks bad now. Domestic and foreign stocks & bonds, the US Dollar, foreign currencies, precious metals, commodities, etc. Real Estate looks like a potential roller coaster, and we're not doing well with the out of state rentals we own (too many bills and not enough income). So we just buy short ETFs on EVERYTHING?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement