No. of Recommendations: 2
You mention that your credit is "fair" - not really sure what that constitutes, but hopefully good enough to qualify for a rewards card (just be aware that a rewards card might not be a slam dunk in this situation - that's all I'm sayin' here).

The main rewards cards I use are the Citibank Dividend Platinum Select card from Citibank, and the GM Card. The Citi card offers 5% cash back on grocery, drugstore, and gasoline purchases, and 1% cash back on everything else. They do have a reward limit of $300/yr. The GM card offers 5% to go toward the purchase of a new card. The rewards you earn are available for 7 years, but there are limits on the amounts you can apply to certain cars. If you go with a cash back card and believe you may max out the reward limit on the card, you may want to consider having a backup rewards card at your disposal (maybe down the road a ways).

Citibank actually offers several rewards cards, and Chase offers quite a few as well (I've also used the Chase PerfectCard extensively). My personal favorite type of reward card pays back cold hard cash, but as you mention, there are many types of reward cards available. Here are links to the various websites:

Citibank (click on the Choose a Card/Apply button on the left)
https://www.citibank.com/us/cards/index.jsp

Chase (they have a card finder available on this site)
http://creditcardsatchase.com/portal/site/marketing/index.jsp?pgTitle=pg_creditcardhome

GM Card (Ford and other automakers also have cards available, but many don't offer this kind of percentage back)
http://www.gmcard.com/GMCard/index.jsp

One important point made in the past - be sure you read all of the terms, conditions, and card disclosures, so you know what you're getting into. Good luck with the card hunting.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement