Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19221  
Subject: You might as well dance Date: 2/13/2005 4:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
This was written by an 83-year-old woman to her friend. *The last line says it all.

Dear Bertha:
I'm reading more and dusting less. I'm sitting in the yard and admiring the view without fussing about the weeds in the garden. I'm spending more time with my family and friends and less time working.

Whenever possible, life should be a pattern of experiences to savor, not to endure. I'm trying to recognize these moments now and cherish them. I'm not "saving" anything; we use our good china and crystal for every special event such as losing a pound, getting the sink unstopped, or the first Amaryllis blossom.

I wear my good blazer to the market. My theory is if I look prosperous, I can shell out $28.49 for one small bag of groceries. I'm not saving my good perfume for special parties, but wearing it for clerks in the hardware store and tellers at the bank.

"Someday" and "one of these days" are losing their grip on my vocabulary. If it's worth seeing or hearing or doing, I want to see and hear and do it now.

I'm not sure what others would've done had they known they wouldn't be here for the tomorrow that we all take for granted. I think they would have called family members and a few close friends. They might have called a few former friends to apologize and mend fences for past squabbles. I like to think they would have gone out for a Chinese dinner or for whatever their favorite food was. I'm guessing; I'll never know.

It's those little things left undone that would make me angry if I knew my hours were limited. Angry because I hadn't written certain letters that I intended to write one of these days. Angry and sorry that I didn't tell my husband and parents often enough how much I truly love them. I'm trying very hard not to put off, hold back, or save anything that would add laughter and luster to our lives. And every morning when I open my eyes, tell myself that it is special.

Every day, every minute, every breath truly is a gift from God.

If you received this, it is because someone cares for you. If you're too busy to take the few minutes that it takes right now to forward this, would it be the first time you didn't do the little thing that would make a difference in your relationships? I can tell you it certainly won't be the last.

Take a few minutes to send this to a few people you care about, just to let them know that you're thinking of them.

"People say true friends must always hold hands, but true friends don't need to hold hands because they know the other hand will always be there"

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

cliff
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BrerBear Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9650 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/13/2005 4:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
We're not all the way there, but creeping gradually towards the concept...

We take time off, travel, do stuff, and spend money "we probably shouldn't"...

It's a balancing act between "no one is promised tomorrow", and "just make sure you're capable of handling the bills for as long as there is a tomorrow"...

The Dancing Bears Clan
<Having fun learning the new balancing & dancing act...>

Author: Quakeboy02 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9652 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/13/2005 4:59 PM
Recommendations: 3
It's well written but the following makes me believe it's merely a chain letter.

Take a few minutes to send this to a few people you care about, just to let them know that you're thinking of them.

Author: BrerBear Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9653 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/13/2005 5:12 PM
the following makes me believe it's merely a chain letter
==============================================
Yeah, it is...

So that impacts the sentiment how...?

http://www.janeellen.com/musings/dance.html

Author: Quakeboy02 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9654 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/13/2005 5:19 PM
Recommendations: 2
So that impacts the sentiment how...?

Chain letters, by their very nature, are manipulative.

Hedge

Author: ep0001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9657 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/14/2005 8:11 AM
Recommendations: 3
"Chain letters, by their very nature, are manipulative."

Not all manipulation is bad. It can inspire people to act in a positive way.

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9658 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/14/2005 12:34 PM
Recommendations: 2
Chain letters, by their very nature, are mostly unwanted spam which clogs up the venues.

Grumpy

Author: Quakeboy02 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9659 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/14/2005 12:52 PM
Chain letters, by their very nature, are mostly unwanted spam which clogs up the venues.

Indeed. We do NOT want a chainletter war, here.

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9660 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/14/2005 12:52 PM

Grumpy

True. In my defense, I thought the subject and treatment would find a good reception on this board.

cliff

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9661 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/14/2005 1:57 PM
Personally, I liked it. Not like the 6-times-forwarded inspirational crap I get so frequently.

Cliff, if you'd edited out the forward-this-to-all-your-friends segment, probably no one would have complained.

Trini

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9662 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/14/2005 2:09 PM
Recommendations: 5
First, a caveat. I'm not here in any official capacity--just another vanilla retired Fool.

I make the not so humble suggestion that this thread has nowhere to go but down. One either likes this sort of thing or doesn't. It doesn't appear to me a matter of great moral urgency, and the nation seems secure regardless of which camp each of us lands in.

How about enough's enough before people start throwing things?

Phil

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9663 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/14/2005 3:25 PM
Recommendations: 4
How about enough's enough before people start throwing things?

Phil

lol. You may need to get out more. The cream puffs thrown here don't hurt a bit. I am the OP who dirtied the board with a spam-type e-mail, and I apologized. The complaints didn't hurt, but I may be hardened by the old Land of Off-Topic Posts, and by Political Asylum (where i don't visit much any more. Don't really care for childish political arguments).

cliff
... no harm, no foul.
... or, no blood, no foul.

Author: BrerBear Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9664 of 19221
Subject: Re: You might as well dance Date: 2/14/2005 8:06 PM
cliff
... no harm, no foul.
... or, no blood, no foul
==============================
Maybe so... but there WAS some smoke starting to swirl around in the air...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement