UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dozer183e Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76397  
Subject: Re: Asset Allocation Date: 4/19/2013 12:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You might be confusing retirement investing with cash management. Overall, the point is valid, any money you definitely plan on spending in the next 5 years needs to be in something safe (money market or CDs).

Now I'm going off topic from retirement investing, but this is a concept I am starting to struggle with as I am getting older. I'm 44 and kids will be off to college in 3, 5, and 7 years.

I've been putting money away in a mutual fund for "Down the Road" (college and other stuff) over the last decade. Now "Down the Road" is approaching. So as I approach those "Life Goals" I am guessing I should sell mutual funds and switch the money to Money Market or CD. Is this the right concept?

My work around has been when saving monthly, instead of contributing to Mutual Fund, just put it in the MM, and use those funds for the goal that once was far away but is closer now. The funds in the Mutual Funds then "Transfer" accordingly to another goal that is "Down the Road".
As the life events that are coming are bigger, I need to figure another way, hate to sell the Mutual Funds, but i guess that is why I've been saving them. The Asset Allocation stated here on the Fool site says:

Rule 1: If you need the money in the next year, it should be in cash.

Rule 2: If you need the money in the next one to five years, choose safe, income-producing investments such as Treasuries, certificates of deposit (CDs), or bonds.

Rule 3: Any money you don't need within the next five is a candidate for the stock market.

According to this, in a hypothetical situation one should put funds into stocks for a goal that is 7-10 years away. Then as that goal gets closer, say 4-5 years away, sell those equities, pay the taxes(assuming in taxable account) and purchase bonds or treasuries, or CDs. Then as the goal is within one year, sell, pay the taxes(assuming in taxable account) and put into MM.

Does this all sound about right? Also, my funds are with Vanguard, so will be looking for something in the Vanguard family that meets the criteria of #2.

dozer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement