UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: brucedoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35387  
Subject: Re: bond fund vs balanced fund??? Date: 11/21/2001 2:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You might be interested in buying both Wellington (about 60% stock and 40% bonds) (WELIX) and Wellesley (about 60% bonds and 40% stocks) (I think it is WINIX). Then you will be about 50-50 stocks and bonds. Wellesley is called an income fund so they have lots of dividend paying stocks in their portfolio. Over the long haul you will average about 10% increase in each per year. Wellesley had two down years in the 1990s and neither was big because of the income and the early 1990s had one of the worst bond markets on record (1994). I used to have both of these but made a mistake and got out early last year when it looked like Wellesley was going to have a third down year (they didn't).

Of course you are going to have both dividends and capital gains to pay taxes on. But if you like to watch the grass grow, these two funds are pretty good. Incidentally, this is not a good year for Wellington so it is probably not a bad year to buy in. Wellesley is up nicely, but you might catch the last rise. I believe they have a distribution in December so if you are going to get in this year, you should hop to it to maximize the shares you get. If you don't do it soon, then I would wait until next year when the price will go back down because of the distribution. That way you will get more shares for your money.

brucedoe
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement