UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: estd Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3157  
Subject: Re: Is Life Meaningless? Date: 2/23/2001 11:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You might be the most frustrating person i have ever attempted to converse with. You believe everything and yet you believe nothing. Everything has consciousness yet everything doesn't. God can be defined in such a way that He exists, but He can also be defined in such a way that He doesn't. All boundaries are useful but arbitrary.

You are catching on now. It's cool, isn't it?

How can you possibly have any frame of reference for knowing anything? How did you arrive at your beliefs? Everything you "know" (or cannot know, as the case may be), is derived from a thought process that you seem to believe isn't what it appears. Is there any way to test or support your (non)belief system? It is so random and yes, arbitrary as to be absurd (yes, i know you love abusrdity) and pointless (yes, meaningless).

That is the point. Give up the frame of reference. Give up the need to “know” anything. Sure thought processes go screaming though my head. Woohoo! Let 'em ride! There is nothing to believe in. Everything is exactly as it appears, and nothing is as it appears. Multiple levels. Multiple boundaries. All valid.. All invalid. All arbitrary.

But if you can't really "know" anything, then you don't know what you "know," and thus my belief in a real, definable God is much more useful. It seems you have abandoned any semblance of a useful system of belief. Why have you chosen to believe as you do (or don't)?

Exactly. I don't really “know” anything. I never claimed to. That would be silly. If there is nothing to be believed and nothing has meaning then nothing is useful. “Useful” becomes meaningless too. Why would you want a useful system of belief? There is no why?

Now, I do want to make it clear that while this is my “core system of non-belief”, I do live everyday much as anyone else. I pretend to be a human who needs to eat and goes to the job and loves his wife and kid. But when you stop to think about it, you realize it is just a game I'm playing for now. I happen to really enjoy this game.

I am curious. In your last post you stated you have a belief in “real, definable God”. Can you give me a definition of such a God? Once you apply a definition, don't you limit God thereby making it less than God?

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement