Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You must declare the losses in the year realized, on Schedule D.
If you have no realized gains to write them off against, you must take $3000 this year.
You continue taking $3000 every year until the total is used up, or until you can balance them against realized gains.
You don't have an option to defer them longer than
allowed. Your tax return every year until all are taken will include the amount of losses carried forward.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.