Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
You must file your return within three years of the original due date (including any extensions granted) if you want to receive a refund for overpaid taxes.

Does this mean that if an extension was filed for 2007, the date to receive a refund is October of 2011 and not April 2011?

No. Prepaid taxes are considered to have been paid on the original unextended due date, and you must file a claim for refund of them within 3 years of that date.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.