Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You need to let your tax preparer know how much you've contributed to your Roth for the year.

Other than just as a double-check for eligibility (which I think is a good-enough reason), the tax preparer realy doesn't need to know--there is no place to declare Roth IRA contributions. (This is unlike non-deductable Tradtional IRA contributions where one needs to establish one's "tax basis".)

See IRS ( Publication 590 (, specifically the introduction of Chapter 2 ( has this statement:

Contributions not reported. You do not have to report Roth IRA contributions on your return.

The Roth IRA custodian(s) is(are) responsible for notifying the IRS of Roth IRA contributions.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.