Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You only need to pay tax on the gain in the mutual fund.

If you bought the shares for $10,000 and held them and sold them for $20,000, and your cost basis, if you re-invested dividends, was now $13,'d owe tax on the $7000 gain.

Your mutual fund company should have listed what the 'basis' for the shares sold you can figure it out.

If it was inside an IRA/401K , there are no taxes due till you take the money out of the IRA in a 'distribution'.

Otherwise, you need to go back to your original purchase of the fund - and the price including commissions paid.....then go back to each year to determine what the dividends re-invested were - thus increasing your 'basis' as the money you got you re-invested and likely also paid income tax on since they sent you annual forms for tax purposes telling you what your 'income' was.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.