No. of Recommendations: 0
You probably know what you are doing but just in case others here don't, one word of caution on brokered CDs.

Ha. I have no clue.

While they are typically FDIC insured, they can be very illiquid. If you need your money for any reason prior to maturity, you must find a buyer for it, just like you would a bond. If no one wants to buy your CD, you might find you have to dump it at significant loss or simply wait until it matures. You generally have no provision to surrender the CD early via the issuing bank.

Agree. That's why this was an October 2012 CD, only a little more than 3 months from now. I won't need that money between now and then. In fact, I may buy more such CDs.

That being said, you can often find better rates on brokered CDs.

Definitely! Next time I will try bidding a bit lower than the ask and see if I can juice the yield a bit.

That said, it seems a little surreal to call things like 0.5% "yield", all this is more for fun than for profit. I invest elsewhere for real profit.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement