No. of Recommendations: 0
You question seems at first blush to be straight forward: "I am nearing 30 and am finally creating a retirement plan. Ijust maxed out my 401K contributions and would like to create a Roth IRA to supplement it."

However, before I can provide a good response, I need a little more data.

February isn't even over and you said you maxed out your 401(k). I believe the maximum contribution level for any employee is 15% and the maximum contribution this year is about $10.5K. I may be a little off since I retired several years ago and no longer have an option of participating in a 401(k), but I should be close. However, for illustration, I use these numbers. If you have hit $10.5K you've already made $70K this year and, unless your firm matches up to 15%, you've effectively cut yourself short on their match. I posted an example of how some high income earners short themselves by contributing at a percentage higher than what will max company matching a week or so ago.

If these assumptions are correct, you will probably exceed the maximum income limits allowable for ROTH contributors. If this is the case, I would invest in a S&P500 index (Vanguard is probably the best) because there is minimal realized gains during the holding period. ROTH gains are tax free. The next best alternative is tax defered gains. Investing in the index will typically beat even the best annuity.

Regards, pmcw
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement