Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

You said:
"Generally you will put this amount on Schedule D, either long-term or short-term depending on how long you owned stock in the liquidated corporation. You will recognize a gain or loss equal to the difference between the amount of the liquidating dividend and the cost basis in the stock."

I realize that you said "Generally", however, seeing that I didn't receive any money for the original stock but instead turned the stock back in to the company and received another stock in place of it, why wouldn't I transfer the cost basis from the 1st stock to the 2nd one. It doesn't seem fair that I would be required to sell the 2nd stock or borrow money in order to pay for the capital gains. That seems as bad as selling what you inherit to pay the inheritance tax. Oh well,I guess I started out with nothing and would end up with something even thought it's a pain in the neck to complicate what has normally been an easy tax return. Thanks anyway.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.