Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: FI Part IV: Get a real degree. Date: 11/8/2013 12:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You said something about needing the big picture to succeed. I disagree, unless you plan to get into mgt, which never appealed to me (I find managing myself and my household to be sufficiently challenging ;-) A former hippy, I never had any interest in business, but I was really good at my job and helped others succeed in theirs. STEM/business/law are not the only routes to FIRE--and avoiding Apple products is totally irrelevant!

Sorry to jump on your wannabe fest--you do have worthy notions, but your arrogance and certainty...grate. Between us, my husband and I have 6(!) Apple products. I save more money by cutting my own hair and not coloring/perming/highlighting it and by doing my own housework than I would by canceling my iPhone or iPad--and I know which is the better deal for me. My 3-yr-old original iPad is the cheapest way for me to get fairly reliable Internet access on the road--and I'm grandfathered at $30/month unlimited data (we RV 1/2 the year since retiring, 1/4 of the year before retirement--yeah, we have an RV AND Apple products, and had an original Prius until a few months ago--which we intend not to replace but manage with one car that doubles as the RV toad, plus our bikes and walking shoes). My husband's MacBook, a hand-me-down when I switched to the smaller, lighter MacBook Air 5 years ago, is 8 years old.

Like you and your wife, we're also not into jewelry. I wear my grandmother's wedding ring (and her mother's before her) so we didn't even buy wedding or engagement rings. In fact, we were married by a Justice of the Peace in our condo for $25, played our favorite CD for mood music, and went out to a Chinese restaurant with attendees afterwards. I made my own bouquet from houseplants and a few supermarket flowers and bought a skirt and top off the rack for about $50. I think our whole wedding cost 1% of the average! our honeymoon was another story...I had children already, and we took them to DisneyWorld.

Big-ticket items like houses, furnishings, cars, weddings, divorce, and frequent expensive vacations can prevent FIRE, not occasional new iPhones and MacBooks--as long as you can afford to pay cash for them and afford the monthly fees besides. There are many ways to skin the cat--One size does not fit all, other than generally LBYM. Even people with fair to middling income can FIRE, especially if they invest successfully (not my strong suit, alas, I used the brute-force method of saving hard).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement