Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You say early retirement so I assume you are under 59.5 years of age. The 20% tax on this distribution occurs if the check is made out to you, by law, by your employer. And if under 59.5 you will probably be subject to a 10% penalty levied by the IRS. To avoid the 20% tax on early distribution funds, you need the check made out to an IRA custodian and roll the amount into an IRA. No 10% penalty either. I believe an IRA is the only acceptable investment vehicle for early distributions.

There are special circumstances where an early distribution could be allowed but not knowing more about your situation...? Check out the TMFs IRA link for more info.

Why not have your son rent to purchase at 400/mn and add or apply that amount to your payment? Must be a better solution than 30% of your funds going to the gov.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.