No. of Recommendations: 0
You seem to be on the right track. Your former employer should advise you if your 401(a) can be rolled over to an IRA. It probably can be. To do this, contact the firm (custodian) you want to have your IRA account, and ask them to arrange details. Usually there are standard forms to fill out and they do the rest. Done this way no are taxes incurred.

You can get in trouble if you take the 401(a) proceeds in a check written to you. Then employer must take withholding and you must replace those funds in the new IRA or pay penalties. So make sure you do a direct transfer that does not require withholding. If in doubt ask your former employer specifically.

As long as your Rollover IRA account does not contain any cash contributions, it is a conduit IRA, and should be suitable for transfer to the current employers plan.

Best of luck to you.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.