UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: How to get Foolish with nest egg. Date: 8/18/1997 12:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

You sound like a man after my own heart! I, too, have only 10 years to invest before retiring on my nest egg. Except I plan to do so at 60, rather than 68.

No need to open multiple accounts to run your portfolios; it makes rebalancing more difficult and still doesn't solve your bookkeeping problem.

Here's what I have just finished setting up (I call this "Balanced Triple-Unemotional"):

1) Decide what balance you want between Value, Growth portions. (I use 40% value, 60% growth. Others use 50/50 or even 75/25.)

2) Decide what Value strategy to use. (UV2, UV4+, etc. I chose UV3, in proportions 2/1/1)

3) Decide how many staggered Value mini-portfolios to run. Monthly is probably too often. I chose bi-monthly, giving me 6 per year (or 9 for an 18-month holding period). Quarterly would be ok, too,

4) Decide what Growth strategy to use. I picked UG5 with monthly updates.

5) Every month, I do the UG5 updates, but not rebalancing.

6) Every even month I also have a UV mini-portfolio update. The one for this month should be 1/6 of 40% of my total Value&Growth portfolio. I update/buy/sell/rebalance this UV mini-portfolio, and also rebalance my UG5 portfolio. Since I always put the "proper" proportion of money into the UV mini-portfolio first, then make the UG adjustments. This keeps everything in dynamic balance, the overall Value/Growth ratio, and all the UV mini-portfolios equal to one another.

In this manner, I keep the accounts pretty close to my desired balance. Money will shift between the Value mini-portfolios slowly, via the UG5 portfolio.

When/if I ever get tired of trading once a month, I'll switch both portions to bi-monthly or quarterly updates. But I'm currently seeing my portfolio value grow at almost half the rate of my monthly paycheck. And I work 160 hours a month for my paycheck, and less than 5 hours for my investments, so I don't expect to get tired of it anytime soon!

To start out, I took the money allocated for the Value portfolio, and bought the current UV3 stocks. Then allocated them evenly in all 6 mini-portfolios. This seemed like the easist and reasonable way to start off. Until an entire update cycle (12 or 18 months) goes by, the portfolios will be shorter term, but I can't think of any way around this. Other alternatives would be to leave it in cash, or park it in an index fund until the normal update--but neither of these appealed to me. And this way I don't have any extra bookeeping.

The bookeeping is a bit of a pain in the butt to set up, but once I get it settled, I'll offer to show everybody what did.

Ray
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement