Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[You then should file a Schedule C as a "Fiduciary"
business and deduct all your phone calls to beneficiaries, postage,
computer, software, travel to the lawyer's office and if it warrents it to visit
in person with the beneficiaries. Also entitled to Self Employed Health
Insurance deduction line 28 Form 1040. The possibilities are endless?
And YES, you owe Self Employed Soc Sec also, but get a credit for 1/2 of it
on 1040 line 27.]]

Unless this is your business, I wouldn't agree that a Sch C would be appropriate.

As noted in my original post, Administration fees are specifically exempt from SE taxes. Why make life more complicated. You can still take any and all administrative expenses as a miscellaneous itemized deduction and STILL not incurr SE taxes.

A Sch C implies a trade or business. Admin. fees are generally not trade or business income unless you are a pro and do that work for a living.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.