Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You will be eligible for some payment as long as you have the 40 quarters required. Pixy is correct. The payment you would receive will be offset because of receipt of a pension based on work not covered under SS. The offset that applies to you (if you file for retirement benefits) is called the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). Benefits end up being approximately 50% of what they would have been if you didn't get the pension.

If the form they sent you shows a benefit estimate, the estimate DOES NOT take in to consideration any government or non-covered pensions you might receive. Don't use that figure in any calculations you might run.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.