No. of Recommendations: 0
You will need a lawyer to do your 501(c)3 paper work for the IRS. Anyone that donates to the organization is going to need a copy of that so they can show the IRS you are indeed a non-profit. Until you have that, you aren't one.


This and other misconceptions are common. There is a difference between being a nonprofit (per state law) and a public charity (irs designation). Boardsource has good information and Nolo has several books that are worthwhile. Always nice to have an attorney on the board but not actually necessary.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.