No. of Recommendations: 0
You would probably be better off rolling the money into an IRA and then withdrawing what you need and only pay taxes on that amount. Remember, if you withdraw the whole amount and pay taxes on it, it will put you in a very high bracket. Then if you reinvest it in a taxable account, you will have to pay taxrs on any dividends, and capital gains tax on any appreciation you see in the portfolio. I would roll it over, then pay taxes on the amount withdrawn. This should be in a lower bracket because you will be retired.
Hope this helps.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.