UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jibbafool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6186  
Subject: Re: leisurely investment Date: 11/12/1999 5:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You wrote:
A tobacco company does something a little more different in manufacturing a product that IS harmful to ones health and markets these to those that are underaged, stupid or ignorant. A BIG difference me thinks!!!!!!!!!!

Not that big a difference, poker machines are marketed to pensioners, stupid and ignorant people. You underestimate the health effects that losing money on poker machines has on addicted gamblers and their families. Not too many suicides or much domestic violence can be related to tobacco products as it can be to poker machines.

I agree that morals don't make you money, probably morals cost you money. However, I believe it is up to each individual to decide what they would or wouldn't do to make money.

The state governments in Australia are now just as addicted to gambling taxes as the federal government is to tobacco taxes. So it is highly unlikely that they will ever ban gambling or smoking, not that they should be banned because prohibition just puts more money in the hands of criminals.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement