UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (59) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757320  
Subject: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 12:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-05-16/younger-seni...

The Employee Benefit Research Institute, a nonprofit research group, said May 15 that 48 percent of people who were aged 61 to 70 and in the bottom half of the income distribution withdrew money from their IRAs annually during the period studied (2002-10). Even in the top quarter of incomes, 29 percent of people aged 61 to 70 annually pulled money out of their IRAs, EBRI said.

The sizes of the withdrawals were substantial, too, ranging from 12 percent of funds for young seniors in the top quarter of incomes to 17 percent for those in the bottom quarter.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682145 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 12:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
48 percent of people who were aged 61 to 70 and in the bottom half of the income distribution withdrew money from their IRAs annually during the period studied (2002-10). Even in the top quarter of incomes, 29 percent of people aged 61 to 70 annually pulled money out of their IRAs
-------------------------

So what? Except for withdrawing too much, isn't that what you're supposed to do? Use your IRA for retirement? I withdraw from my IRA, and it's doing fine, thank you.

arrete

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682148 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 1:07 PM
The first paragraph states these younger seniors have years of living in front of them. Who knows if that's true. I have to admit that 12% to 17% withdrawal rate is more than a little steep. They could be helping their adult kids along who aren't faring so well - facing consequences of job loss or just not living frugally, or helping grandkids through school. The article did state that the older seniors are seemingly more frugal. DH and I are that way in most respects and don't plan on making withdrawals until we're forced to do so. Will we eventually be bailing out the spenders? This is a constant concern.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682150 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 1:10 PM
We're trying to avoid that rule about how much you have to withdraw when you're 70. Not that I have a problem, but DH does. It'll do a number on our taxes.

arrete

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682151 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 1:17 PM
Some advisors advocate taking withdrawals from your IRA and deferring taking SS until age70. that gives you higher income that is partly or nearly all tax free in the lower brackets. Unless you are getting 8% a year gain in your IRA you are better off that way

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682156 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 1:43 PM
We're trying to avoid that rule about how much you have to withdraw when you're 70. Not that I have a problem, but DH does. It'll do a number on our taxes.

All I can say is congrats on your investing successes and being wise, solvent retirees. DH made a huge mistake on our taxes this year and had to make an amended return - in our favor. It's taking forever to get the money back.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682157 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 1:47 PM
All I can say is congrats on your investing successes and being wise, solvent retirees. DH made a huge mistake on our taxes this year and had to make an amended return - in our favor. It's taking forever to get the money back.

The government in the current look at things seems pretty thorough with the AP monitoring and all, I would suggest posting a few pro-Obama things over on PA, and see if the process does not speed up

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682174 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 4:28 PM
"So what? Except for withdrawing too much, isn't that what you're supposed to do? Use your IRA for retirement? I withdraw from my IRA, and it's doing fine, thank you." - arrete

My account has actually increased by $20,000 since started 72(T)sepp distributions and since I turned 60 this year it was a regular distribution (in March) and my account has all ready made that back up plus a little more. I started taking 72(t)SEPP distributions at age 50 and a little state pension at age 55 and then 2 more years and I turn 62 and I'm going to sign up for whatever I can get from Social Security.

My three legged stool retirement system. IRA + pension + social security. When it's all said and done it will be about $1700/month.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682175 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 4:34 PM
"The first paragraph states these younger seniors have years of living in front of them. Who knows if that's true?" - buffalogal

What about the obesity epidemic? I thought that was supposed to kill a bunch of us off early? How can they predict how long anyone is going to live. It's a crap shoot. One of my SIL's best friend's husband just died. He was 60. Fell over dead from a heart attack. We've all ready lost at least three people from this board, MichaelRead, TNgirl, and Gringofool.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682176 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 4:36 PM
"Some advisors advocate taking withdrawals from your IRA and deferring taking SS until age70." - tele

Well my advice is to get all that you can as soon as you can. No one can predict when we will kick the bucket.

Art

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682177 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 5:24 PM
How can they predict how long anyone is going to live. It's a crap shoot.

Not entirely. Tell that to the nation's employed actuarials who labor daily to predict who will live and who will die. They're pretty accurate, too.

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682183 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 6:03 PM
I waiting til 70 til I take social security. But ain't no way am i pulling over 10+% from my IRA.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682197 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 8:03 PM
I waiting til 70 til I take social security. But ain't no way am i pulling over 10+% from my IRA. - tjscott0

--------------------

Pulling and spending are two different things. Personally, I am trying to drain my IRA as fast as the 25% bracket limit will allow.

Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682201 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 8:21 PM
I waiting til 70 til I take social security. But ain't no way am i pulling over 10+% from my IRA.

You can do both.

Start withdrawing as early as possible. Save all of that money by putting it into an account that maintains principal.

When you turn 70, pay the principal back (but keep anything you earned on it), and then reapply for SS. You will now be paid the SS rate as if you had originally applied at the age of 70.

Jim

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682204 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 8:36 PM
Start withdrawing as early as possible. Save all of that money by putting it into an account that maintains principal.

When you turn 70, pay the principal back (but keep anything you earned on it), and then reapply for SS. You will now be paid the SS rate as if you had originally applied at the age of 70.

Jim

------------

That program was called "Withdrawal of Application". It must have become too popular because it was done away with a few years back. Don't recall the details, maybe you can still change your mind but have to do it within six months of original application for benefits or something like that.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682232 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 11:22 PM
"Not entirely. Tell that to the nation's employed actuarials who labor daily to predict who will live and who will die. They're pretty accurate, too." - catherine

I was shocked when I heard that TNgirl had brain cancer. She was young and vibrant and full of life. I would have never predicted that she was not long for this life.

And Gringofool wasn't all that old either. I think he was in his mid to late 60's?

The only one of the three that I wasn't totally shocked when he died was Michael Read because he had told us he had heart problems and smoked. I remember reading one of his posts where he said he stepped outside for a smoke and I had sort of a premonition that he may not be long for this world.

My sister Linda's husband was 52 years old when he died of a heart attack and he didn't smoke or drink alcohol.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682233 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 11:25 PM
"I waiting til 70 til I take social security. But ain't no way am i pulling over 10+% from my IRA." - tiscotto

You must be in really good shape physically. No way am I going to wait that long. My mom died at age 51 of stomach cancer. My dad died at age 65 of cardiomyopathy. Maternal grandmother died of breast cancer at age 51. Aunt Helen died at age 72 of Melanoma. Uncle Henry at age 75 of some kind of weird auto immune disease, and Uncle John at age 76 of a heart attack.

I'll be lucky to make it to age 70.

Art

Author: 2ndHalf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682234 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 11:26 PM
Recommendations: 2
I am a believer that you live each day as if it is your last. Be happy with the time that God has alloted to you:

http://successify.net/2012/10/31/22-things-happy-people-do-d...

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682235 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 11:29 PM
"Start withdrawing as early as possible. Save all of that money by putting it into an account that maintains principal. When you turn 70, pay the principal back (but keep anything you earned on it), and then reapply for SS. You will now be paid the SS rate as if you had originally applied at the age of 70." - Jim
----------------------

I'm not sure they let you do that anymore?

Art

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682238 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/16/2013 11:49 PM
You must be in really good shape physically. No way am I going to wait that long. My mom died at age 51 of stomach cancer. My dad died at age 65 of cardiomyopathy. Maternal grandmother died of breast cancer at age 51. Aunt Helen died at age 72 of Melanoma. Uncle Henry at age 75 of some kind of weird auto immune disease, and Uncle John at age 76 of a heart attack.

Art

I'm 20 to 25 pounds overweight[185 on 5"9" frame]. I lift weights twice a week & hike 4 or 5 miles on weekends & work around the house some. The negative is that prolly 25% of what I eat is crap & sometime I overindulge in alcohol. My mom died @ 72. She was grossly overweight. Pops lived til 82 when cancer took him. His brother lived to 92 & his father til 95.

The extra money for social security wouldn't improvement my life style. I'm doing what I want to do now. So social security will be like an annuity that kicks in @ 70. And there is the possibility that my financial smarts, such as they are, very well may wane as I age. I might nee the extra dough @ 70. And if I croak before 70; I will be contributing to lessening the national debt.<g>

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682240 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 12:22 AM
My mom died at age 51 of stomach cancer. My dad died at age 65 of cardiomyopathy.

This is why life and some health insurance applications ask for family history. Your family history impacts what the insurance company will charge to insure you. They know someone has a greater chance of kickin' the bucket sooner than someone whose family members died of old age.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682247 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 3:15 AM
The first paragraph states these younger seniors have years of living in front of them. Who knows if that's true. I have to admit that 12% to 17% withdrawal rate is more than a little steep. They could be helping their adult kids along who aren't faring so well - facing consequences of job loss or just not living frugally, or helping grandkids through school.

They could be taking money from their IRA to fill in for the Social Security checks they aren't getting yet.

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682254 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 7:09 AM
Recommendations: 4
The only one of the three that I wasn't totally shocked when he died was Michael Read because he had told us he had heart problems and smoked.

He had a very life changing loss. His business. It was an enormous sorrow to him. Something like that does something - I don't know how to describe it - a trauma that can affect one's health in a terrible way. He went off his heart meds, too. He mentioned they made him feel lousy. He was his own person - lived life and left it on his own terms.

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682255 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 7:10 AM

Me, too.

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682258 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 7:25 AM
I'm 20 to 25 pounds overweight[185 on 5"9" frame]. I lift weights twice a week & hike 4 or 5 miles on weekends & work around the house some. The negative is that prolly 25% of what I eat is crap & sometime I overindulge in alcohol. My mom died @ 72. She was grossly overweight. Pops lived til 82 when cancer took him. His brother lived to 92 & his father til 95.

tjscott0

Not certain I'd want to keep living into my 90s. Most likely if you live that long you won't be independent. My friend's parents both made into their 90s and my friend had to hire round the clock caregivers for his parents during their last 3-4 years of life.

Mike

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682259 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 7:27 AM
You have to start drawing money from your traditional IRA by age 70 1/2. From a tax standpoint it could make sense to start withdrawing IRA funds prior to age 70 1/2 even if you don't need the money.

Mike

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682266 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 8:47 AM
"I'll be lucky to make it to age 70." - Art
------------------
"Me, too." - buffalogal

The way my arthritis has been feeling the last couple of days I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

Death Bed Visions

http://www.near-death.com/deathbed.html

Art

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682267 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 8:50 AM
The way my arthritis has been feeling the last couple of days I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

Art, you can't leave until you and I go squirrel hunting.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682269 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 9:08 AM
"Art, you can't leave until you and I go squirrel hunting." - wolverine

I have thinned them out significantly around my house. I've killed 171 squirrels in just a couple of years around our house. They are much rarer and a lot more skittish. Now the ones that are left act more like wild squirrels instead of yard ornaments.

When we first moved here 7 years ago the squirrels weren't too bad, but I ignored them and they kept reproducing and becoming more numerous till after about 5 years they were climbing the walls of the house, chewing holes through the screens, laying on the top ridge of the house, and getting into our attic.

I'd be setting on the computer and I'd hear scratching and look over and there'd be a squirrel hanging on the screen looking in through the window at me. Bonnie started yelling at me one time that there were 2 squirrels in the fireplace in the living room chasing each other around!

I got fed up and declared war on squirrels. I got me a bolt action Marlin 22 with a Simmons 4 X 9 scope and a couple boxes of 22 CB shorts and started thinning them out. I'd sit out on the back deck or front porch and it didn't take me long to "thin the herd." Now the ones that are left are a whole lot more skittish. If they hear any noise or see a human they are take off running and disappear.

Art

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682273 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 9:52 AM

Death Bed Visions

http://www.near-death.com/deathbed.html

Art

Hi Art,

I know you've mentioned this in the past but where is your arthritis located? My 83 year old mother deals with it in her right knee. She winces when she has to stand up.

I've had to stop running because of a flare-up of runner's knee (patellofemoral pain). I've had this in the past, but it was not much of an issue until I slipped on some ice while walking this past December. I figurd I'd better stop running so the knee would not get worse.

Mike

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682286 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 10:41 AM
"Hi Art, I know you've mentioned this in the past but where is your arthritis located? My 83 year old mother deals with it in her right knee. She winces when she has to stand up. I've had to stop running because of a flare-up of runner's knee (patellofemoral pain). I've had this in the past, but it was not much of an issue until I slipped on some ice while walking this past December. I figurd I'd better stop running so the knee would not get worse." - Mike
--------------------------

It started in my mid 40's in my hips and lower back. I was real active before that, swimming, biking, diving, fishing and hunting, working out with weights, etc. I was an animal. Then I woke up one morning with this horrible pain in right hip. It was like a knife had been stuck in my hip joint.

I went to the doctor and he X-rayed my hips and saw this bright white ring around the acetabulum and these "spines" up and down the inside of my vertebrae. He told me the white was osteo-arthritis and that if one of those "rooster spurs" broke off inside my abdomen I'd be in real trouble.

That was probably 15 years ago. Since that time the pain has moved around but mostly stays in my hips. My right knee also bothers me as well as my right shoulder. My wrists and hands also sometimes bother me too.

My hips and lower back hurt all the time. The Cardio-3 fish oil pills seems to help alleviate the pain a bit; but not completely get rid of it. After I run out of the Cardio-3 fish oil pills I'm going to try Catherine's Mega Red Krill oil pills and see if that works just as well as the fish oil pills.

I also take Naproxsen twice a day that I buy at Sam's club. I take two in the morning and two at night before I go to bed.

The pain from the arthritis has really curtailed my activity. Some days I feel better than others and I get all active and walk and do a lot and then for the next four days I'll be in pain from all the activity. I think the exercise actually causes more inflammation and swelling and causes more pain. And for the record my doctor encourages me to walk.

Art

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682299 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 2:25 PM
Not entirely. Tell that to the nation's employed actuarials who labor daily to predict who will live and who will die. They're pretty accurate, too.

They don't predict who will die. They predict that out of this group which they define as narrowly as they can, this many will die this year - but don't try to predict which ones.

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682300 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 2:48 PM
It started in my mid 40's in my hips and lower back. I was real active before that, swimming, biking, diving, fishing and hunting, working out with weights, etc. I was an animal. Then I woke up one morning with this horrible pain in right hip. It was like a knife had been stuck in my hip joint.

I went to the doctor and he X-rayed my hips and saw this bright white ring around the acetabulum and these "spines" up and down the inside of my vertebrae. He told me the white was osteo-arthritis and that if one of those "rooster spurs" broke off inside my abdomen I'd be in real trouble.

That was probably 15 years ago. Since that time the pain has moved around but mostly stays in my hips. My right knee also bothers me as well as my right shoulder. My wrists and hands also sometimes bother me too.

My hips and lower back hurt all the time. The Cardio-3 fish oil pills seems to help alleviate the pain a bit; but not completely get rid of it. After I run out of the Cardio-3 fish oil pills I'm going to try Catherine's Mega Red Krill oil pills and see if that works just as well as the fish oil pills.

I also take Naproxsen twice a day that I buy at Sam's club. I take two in the morning and two at night before I go to bed.

The pain from the arthritis has really curtailed my activity. Some days I feel better than others and I get all active and walk and do a lot and then for the next four days I'll be in pain from all the activity. I think the exercise actually causes more inflammation and swelling and causes more pain. And for the record my doctor encourages me to walk.

Art

Man, sorry to hear that Art. Good thing you're retired.

I take fish oil capsules and also take glucosamine. Not sure if these help, but I figure that the worst that can happen is I have less spending money.

Mike

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682302 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 2:53 PM

I believe they changed the law so you can't do that anymore.

Not certain though.

So verify before attempting it!

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682307 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 3:38 PM
Art, I recently bought one of these. It's a TENS [transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation] unit.

http://tensunitmassagers.com/palm-massager-2?gclid=CKi2scvZk...

I had experience with a TENS unit when I had a bunionectomy. I didn't need to take so much as an aspirin for post-surgical discomfort when using the TENS. They were very expensive back then; now they're dirt cheap.

You can get them for a low as $40 when you search around the internet. They really do work. What you would do is apply the unit for about 20 minutes, before you get out of bed, to the area that hurts you most.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682313 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 4:07 PM
They don't predict who will die. They predict that out of this group which they define as narrowly as they can, this many will die this year - but don't try to predict which ones.

Right...not specifically by name, but they know how many in the group will die.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682318 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 4:39 PM

Me, too.

I have no clue how long I might live.

My father died of heart trouble in his mid 50s (I'm in my early 50s) - but he had had at least four or five heart attacks by the time he was my current age, and I've had none. And my cholesterol level is pretty good (LDL just barely above where they want it). Dad also had a somewhat high-stress personality, where I'm pretty much the opposite.

His father died younger, but in a traffic accident. And my only uncle on my father's side died even younger than that, but it was suicide. Nothing predictive there.

Women on that side mostly lived pretty long, but as I understand things usually cross-gender lifespan is less predictive than same-gender.

My parents were divorced and I know practically nothing of my mother's family. My mother is still alive, for whatever that's worth, and probably about 30 years older than I am.

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682320 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 4:56 PM
My father died of heart trouble in his mid 50s (I'm in my early 50s) - but he had had at least four or five heart attacks by the time he was my current age, and I've had none. And my cholesterol level is pretty good (LDL just barely above where they want it). Dad also had a somewhat high-stress personality, where I'm pretty much the opposite.

Had my 2nd cath done last Friday. Two more stents - these in the iliac region. I'm following family tradition (p.v.d.) along with two other males and a female. My paternal uncle made it to 70. My paternal grandmother made it to 67. The deck is stacked. But I walked my first full mile today and will continue till I can get past 2 in one day. I have a high stress personality, but keep it well bottled inside.

Happy you are free of coronary disease and living the free life.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682337 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 7:18 PM
"Not sure if these help, but I figure that the worst that can happen is I have less spending money." - Mike
------------

Sort of like me buying lottery tickets! Or fishing. I spent a ton of money going fishing and I guarantee you I didn't catch enough poundage of fish to make up for all the cash I spent fishing. 2 boats, a truck to pull the boats, gas, oil, bait, lures, fishing poles, licenses, snacks, launch fees, etc.

Add it all up and it makes buying lottery tickets look cheap! I went fishing almost every weekend for at least 6 months out of the year. I tore up the clutch on my Toyota truck pulling those boats up and down those mountains in East Tennessee. Can't remember how much it cost to fix it but it wasn't cheap.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682339 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 7:25 PM
"I had experience with a TENS unit when I had a bunionectomy. I didn't need to take so much as an aspirin for post-surgical discomfort when using the TENS. They were very expensive back then; now they're dirt cheap. You can get them for a low as $40 when you search around the internet. They really do work. What you would do is apply the unit for about 20 minutes, before you get out of bed, to the area that hurts you most." Catherine
-----------------

Can they be bought in stores over the counter? I would buy one if I could buy it in a store. I'm not too crazy about buying stuff online. I'll look for one at Walgreens or CVS store.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682344 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 7:42 PM
"Had my 2nd cath done last Friday. Two more stents - these in the iliac region. I'm following family tradition (p.v.d.) along with two other males and a female. My paternal uncle made it to 70. My paternal grandmother made it to 67. The deck is stacked. But I walked my first full mile today and will continue till I can get past 2 in one day. I have a high stress personality, but keep it well bottled inside. Happy you are free of coronary disease and living the free life." - buffalogal
--------------------

Wow. You really do have some serious heart issues. I am so sorry. Hope it goes well for you. There is a real sweet woman at our church who is way younger than me, and of medium build, that has all ready had a heart attack. I couldn't believe it when it happened. It was only a few months ago. She is taking medicine and the doctors are trying to help her stay alive.

Art

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682358 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 10:13 PM
Can they be bought in stores over the counter?

Probably not. It's not a mainstream product.

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682370 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/17/2013 11:01 PM
Recommendations: 3
Wow. You really do have some serious heart issues.

They're not the coronary arteries that are the problem. It's the peripheral vascular system. I think one stent has failed, actually. Seeing my doc on Wednesday. Not going directly back to a cath lab, though.

I walked today but had some pain in my legs. Going to continue on so one day soon, I can walk through SeaTac airport, down to the shuttle that takes people to another part of the airport where the small planes are so I can make the 20 minute flight to Victoria. I need to see my sister. We both email each other every day but I miss her. She can't leave where she is to come see me. She and her husband run a business which keeps her at her computer most days. She can take some time off, but not much and it's okay with me. She always has a stack of books to read, there are nature trails through wooded areas to walk and a pond just below her house with a split rail fence along the street. She gives me a pond update every now and then. She needs some help with her garden, too. Well, that's my story. We all have some kind of physical thing to wrestle with and I'm no exception. I'll make it to 70 even if I have to crawl to get there. :-)

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682467 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/18/2013 10:08 PM
Art, here are some reviews by users about TENS units. Their experiences may convince you to try one.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2FQMERBXL4W3Z/ref=cm_cr_pr_vie...

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682475 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 12:12 AM
"Art, here are some reviews by users about TENS units. Their experiences may convince you to try one." Catherine

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2FQMERBXL4W3Z/ref=cm_cr_pr_vie...

I would definitely try one only I wish I could buy it in a regular store instead of ordering online. I'm not crazy about ordering stuff online. I don't like messing with credit cards online. It's a pain in the rear.

Sorry.

Art

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682477 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 12:33 AM
I'm not crazy about ordering stuff online. I don't like messing with credit cards online. Sorry.

Don't apologize to me. You're the one in pain. You pull your credit card out of your wallet when you go to a store, don't you? Same thing when ordering online, except you're sitting in front of your 'puter. Pretty silly reason not to try something that may take you OUT of pain, but whatever.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682480 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 8:17 AM
I would definitely try one only I wish I could buy it in a regular store instead of ordering online. I'm not crazy about ordering stuff online. I don't like messing with credit cards online. It's a pain in the rear.

Sorry.

Art _

If it is not the safety that is the issue, but entering a the information time after time, You might want to consider Pay Pal. You enter it one time, and then use the account you created as the payer. Pretty straightforward and kind of handy, of course like anything else you now have another party storing your credit information.

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682498 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 10:57 AM
I'm not crazy about ordering stuff online. I don't like messing with credit cards online. It's a pain in the rear.

What's a credit card?

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682518 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 3:54 PM
"What's a credit card?" - wolverine

Mark of the beast. Downfall of America. Debt. Interest. I have three of them in my wallet but I don't like them. They forced me to use them at gas stations. They've made it difficult to pay with cash. Mostly I use my Kroger card to buy gas at Kroger's. Not proud of that.

Art

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682526 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 5:41 PM
Mark of the beast. Downfall of America. Debt. Interest. I have three of them in my wallet but I don't like them.

Ever heard of a debit card?

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682527 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 5:47 PM
Mark of the beast. Downfall of America. Debt. Interest. I have three of them in my wallet but I don't like them. They forced me to use them at gas stations. They've made it difficult to pay with cash. Mostly I use my Kroger card to buy gas at Kroger's. Not proud of that.

Art _

I am quite proud of my Discover card, and the money I have gotten back with it, and the 25 dollar gift certificates at stores I shop at that I buy for 20 dollars with that Discover rebate rather than taking cash.

I am also quite proud I have never paid interest on the account in 20 years or so.

I hardly ever use cash anymore. I net over 500 dollars a year free money. The price? I do not have to go to ATMs or the bank to get cash and one time a month when I pay my other bills online I send a payment to Discover.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682546 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 7:20 PM
"Ever heard of a debit card?" - Catherine

Yes, I have one. Very scary. I never use it. Don't remember the number.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682547 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 7:22 PM
"I am quite proud of my Discover card, and the money I have gotten back with it, and the 25 dollar gift certificates at stores I shop at that I buy for 20 dollars with that Discover rebate rather than taking cash." - lowstudent

Yes, my wife does that. When I recently bought our new TV I used her Discover card. Sam's Club. I paid her back cash out of my checking account.

Art

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682550 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 7:49 PM
Yes, my wife does that. When I recently bought our new TV I used her Discover card. Sam's Club. I paid her back cash out of my checking account.

Art _

I tell ya Art,

Took me a while of getting used to it, but it was worth the effort. Not having cash, no bank visits etc.

Yes you have to maintain some discipline, but I hate wasting money so that is never a problem I do not impulse buy, never have, I have a feeling you are similar.

After a little bit it is mighty handy.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682552 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 8:01 PM
"Took me a while of getting used to it, but it was worth the effort. Not having cash, no bank visits etc." - lowstudent
-------------------------

I love going to the bank. I like talking to the cashiers. It's like Norm on Cheers. Some days it's the only real social interaction I get. We live about a mile from our bank.

Norm on Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81QluTS-mWc

Art

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682554 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 8:09 PM
I love going to the bank. I like talking to the cashiers. It's like Norm on Cheers. Some days it's the only real social interaction I get. We live about a mile from our bank.

Norm on Cheers

WEll, you are one social critter. Sounds like you have the best system for you, the interaction is worth any cash back, I'd be the last to argue against that given your likes. Me? Too short a howdy for me to enjoy, takes me a while to just warm up.

Enjoy!

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682562 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/19/2013 9:06 PM
I love going to the bank. I like talking to the cashiers. It's like Norm on Cheers. Some days it's the only real social interaction I get.

He likes to share about how much his arthritis hurts. Go figger.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682574 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/20/2013 12:22 AM
"He likes to share about how much his arthritis hurts. Go figger." - Catherine
----------------

That was mean, critical, and hurtful. Please don't assume what I talk about when I go to the bank.

Art

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 682579 of 757320
Subject: Re: Younger Seniors Burning thru IRAs Date: 5/20/2013 8:48 AM
Recommendations: 3
That was mean, critical, and hurtful

Agreed. That was uncalled for.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (59) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement